BWF PUBLISHES SAFETY PROTOCOLS & OPERATING PROCEDURES FOR THE RETURN TO INTERNATIONAL BADMINTON
Following yesterday’s announcement of an adjusted tournament calendar for the HSBC BWF World Tour in 2020, in addition to the confirmation that the TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020 in Aarhus, Denmark will proceed on the planned dates of 3-11 October 2020; BWF can publicise its Safety Protocols & Operating Procedures document and Protocols for Players and Team Entourage document outlining the safe return to international badminton. These documents were shared with all Member Associations on Thursday 27 August 2020.
All tournaments during the European leg of the adjusted tournament calendar (including the TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals), and the Asian leg tournaments, will be conducted in strict compliance with the Safety Protocols & Operating Procedures to create the safest possible environment for all stakeholders involved in the tournament including players, coaches, other entourage, organising committee workforce, volunteers, media, and technical officials.
Download BWF COVID-19 Safety Protocols & Operating Procedures
Download BWF COVID-19 Protocols for Players and Team Entourage
- Accreditations for tournament personnel will be divided into three categories or ‘bubbles’ – green, orange and red.
- BWF will implement a COVID-19 testing plan for each tournament, which will entail a group of key accredited personnel being tested prior to each event (green category).
- Participants in the green category must be tested for COVID-19 before leaving their home country and present a negative test result upon arrival to the tournament destination.
- Testing during tournament weeks (Weeks 40-48) will be conducted by the BWF, with expenses also borne by the BWF.
- Accreditation passes will only be issued for each tournament to green category personnel once a negative test has been obtained.
- Procedures will be in place to ensure minimal contact between the bubbles – particularly those in the green category and those participants not tested.
- Any breach of the BWF guidelines and protocols will result in accreditations being revoked and participants not permitted to enter the venue.
These guidelines and implementation of the ‘bubble system’ are designed to take care of each other and to ensure the safety of all participants.
Teams and participants entering tournaments during the European and Asian legs are advised not return to their home countries as many would then have to undergo a 14-day quarantine period upon their return.
A two-week transition time to move the tour and all participants from Europe to Asia safely including a necessary quarantine or screening period has been factored in.
BWF will also arrange practice facilities in Denmark and for the location of the screening period, plus Asian leg tournaments to support teams and players.
International participants for the TOTAL BWF Thomas & Uber Cup Finals 2020 are not required to undergo quarantine upon arrival in Denmark – just a negative COVID-19 test and relevant travel documentation.
Please contact the BWF Press Office for more information.