The BWF Sport Science Research Grants programme provides the opportunity for research institutions and individual researchers to apply for research grants to assist in the funding of applied sport science research in badminton. The deadline for applications for the 2023/2024 grants is 1 May 2023.
Since its inception in 2013, BWF has supported more than 100 badminton research projects globally across areas such as biomechanics, physiology, sport psychology, performance analysis, sport injuries/injury prevention, sports engineering and technology, sport sociology and youth development.
In this year’s funding, BWF will have a targeted approach to identifying the research areas that would greatly contribute to the global badminton community. These are the research areas and questions that have been identified:
- Badminton Performance
- What are the physical performance characteristics in badminton and the differences between gender and disciplines?
- What are the performance determinants in badminton and the differences between gender and disciplines?
- What are the physical capacities of elite players and the difference in aerobic/anaerobic capacities between gender and disciplines?
- Physical Activity & Well Being
- What are the key physical and social benefits of playing badminton recreationally and competitively?
- What are the differences between and key physical and social benefits of playing badminton and AirBadminton?
- What are the physical and social benefits of playing badminton recreationally for youth/older adults?
- What are the physical and social benefits of playing AirBadminton recreationally for youth/older adults?
- Injury Prevention & Medical
- What can the badminton community do better to reduce injury and enhance performance?
- What are the risk factors that contribute to injuries in youth elite and elite badminton players between genders?
- Para badminton/Inclusive badminton
- What is the optimal wheelchair set-up (seating position, wheel camber, anti-tip, tyre type/pressure) to maximise movement efficiency and force/power output for Para badminton athletes?
- What are the key principles and guidelines for working within different training zones for Para badminton sport classes, to ensure optimal training and replication of match environment?
- What are key physical testing protocols for each Para badminton sport class?
- What are the principles of physical training for each Para badminton sport class?
- What are the physical, health and social benefits of “unified” badminton with Special Olympics athletes?