In collaboration with the World Academy of Sport (WAoS), BWF launched two scholarship programmes last year to provide athletes and other industry talent with opportunities to learn new skills.
Following the announcement in October, applications for the Postgraduate Certificate (PGCert) in International Sports Management and Athlete Certificate came in healthy numbers.
PGCert in International Sports Management
- 70 applications from at least 35 countries
- Included staffs of Member Associations (MAs), current and former badminton and Para badminton athletes, technical officials, coaches and university graduates
- Female applicants made up 36 per cent
At the end of the evaluation process, one fully-funded scholarship for University of London’s January 2021 intake went to Mahoor Shahzad, a female applicant from Pakistan. Half scholarships were awarded to five female and five male applicants. WAoS also offered four 25 per cent scholarships, meaning 15 candidates from 14 MAs benefitted from the programme.
An overjoyed Shahzad said: “No doubt this is once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. This will not only prepare me for a bright future but also allow me to put my best input on the field.”
- More than 310 applications from more than 60 countries
- Female youth athletes account for 40 per cent
After receiving endorsement from MAs, more than 260 young athletes received their scholarships.
BWF and WAoS are in discussion to launch another round of scholarships for the next intake.